In the article, we consider why bleeding from Dufaston occurs?
A medication belongs to the spectrum of progesterone hormone analogs, which are widely used in gynecology in the treatment of various pathologies accompanied by hormonal imbalances, in particular, progesterone deficiency in the female body. Against the background of taking this remedy, as indicated in the instructions for it, breakthrough bleeding and pain can develop. To understand why this happens, you need to find out detailed information about the drug.
Doesn't everyone know that this is Dufaston?
Composition and form of release
The medicine is made in tablet form for oral administration. They have a biconvex round shape, white color and beveled edges. On the front side there is a special dividing risk. The active element of the tablets is dydrogesterone, the content of which is 10 mg in 1 tablet. In addition, the composition of the medication includes additional components, including:
- colloidal silicon dioxide;
- lactose monohydrate;
- corn starch;
- magnesium stearate;
- polyethylene glycol;
- titanium dioxide.
Tablets of this medication are packaged in blisters of 20 pieces. A cardboard pack contains one blister and instructions for use.
So what is Duphaston?
The main active element from the composition of the tablets is didrogesterone. In terms of clinical effects and chemical structure, this substance resembles a woman's endogenous progesterone. Therefore, when penetrated into the body, didrogesterone has the same biological effect as natural hormone. Due to the fact that the main component is not a derivative of testosterone, it does not have estrogenic, androgenic and glucocorticoid effects. In addition, it does not affect the carbohydrate metabolism in the body and the values of hemostasis (blood coagulation properties). After internal administration of the pill, there is no effect on the woman's body temperature. Dydrogesterone normalizes the lipid composition of the blood (the ratio of the levels of essential fats, in particular cholesterol). Also, the active element of the drug has a direct effect on the endometrium (uterine mucosa) and prevents the processes of its hypertrophy (pathological increase in volumes).
Why bleeding from Duphaston occurs, we will describe below.
Indications for appointment
The main indication for the use of the drug is progesterone deficiency in such pathological conditions:
- female infertility, which is caused by decreased activity of the corpus luteum in the ovaries (luteal insufficiency);
- the threat of miscarriage during pregnancy, which is associated with an insufficient concentration of endogenous progesterone;
- endometriosis - the occurrence of ectopic foci of the endometrium outside the uterus;
- premenstrual syndrome, accompanied by pronounced changes in functions in the female body and pain;
- dysmenorrhea - irregular menstruation;
- secondary absence of menstruation (amenorrhea of the secondary type);
- bleeding from the uterus on the background of functional disorders of the reproductive system.
In addition, this drug is used in hormone replacement treatment if it is necessary to neutralize the effects on the endometrium of estrogens during induced or natural postmenopause.
The main contraindication to taking the drug is intolerance to its active element or auxiliary components. With caution, the medicine is prescribed to women who have had skin itching in the past during pregnancy.
Instructions for use
Duphaston tablets should be taken orally without chewing. The dosage regimen and dosage depend on the pathology:
- With endometriosis - 10 mg 2-3 times a day from 5 to 25 days of the cycle, the specialist sets the treatment period individually.
- If there is a risk of miscarriage, 40 mg once, then 10 mg every 8 hours until the symptoms of spontaneous abortion disappear completely.
- Infertility, as a result of yellow body failure - 1 tablet from the 14th to the 25th day of the cycle.
- Irregular menstruation and premenstrual syndrome - 1 tablet twice a day from 11 to 25 days.
- Painful menstruation - 1 tablet 2 times in bitches from 5 to 25 days.
Are there pains from Dufaston?
Taking the medication can lead to the development of some undesirable reactions, which include:
- Digestive and hepatobiliary system: pain in the abdomen, disturbances in the activity of the gallbladder and liver, which occur in the form of general weakness, a feeling of heaviness in the hypochondrium, and slight jaundice.
- Nervous system: pain in the head that is paroxysmal.
- Red bone marrow: there may be a development of hemolytic anemia, characterized by increased destruction of red blood cells.
- Reproductive system: the occurrence of severe uterine bleeding, which can be stopped only by increasing the dosage of the drug "Dufaston", the sensitivity of the mammary glands.
- Allergy: changes in the skin in the form of a rash, itching.
The cost of this drug ranges from 540-570 rubles per pack of tablets. It depends on the region and the pharmacy network. Further, about the causes of bleeding while taking this medication.
Why are bleeding from Duphaston?
The development of bleeding and the accompanying pain after taking this hormonal drug in some cases is considered normal. The active substance after ingestion increases the level of progesterone. If the drug is taken to cause menstruation, then in this situation, the body perceives an increase in the concentration of hormones as a sign that ovulation has occurred. Accordingly, a signal is received for the rejection of endometrial tissues, and bleeding from Dufaston occurs. The pain is pulling, mild, and it is considered normal.
If the medicine is used to treat pathologies caused by a lack of progesterone, then in the second part of the cycle, that is, after ovulation, its administration is indicated. During this period, the appearance of bloody discharge of varying degrees of intensity - from profuse to spotting. This phenomenon is explained by the reaction of the body, which begins to adapt to a new hormonal balance. Usually, with prolonged use (over several months), the woman’s condition returns to normal and bleeding stops.
With the development of breakthrough bleeding, you must consult a doctor to adjust the dosage of the drug. In this case, it is recommended to increase the dose in the instructions for the medication. To stop the discharge, a 5-7-day course of tablets is prescribed, in which it is necessary to take them 10 mg twice a day.
Under no circumstances should you prescribe pills yourself or increase their number. This is the most common cause of bleeding and pain in women taking this medicine. In any situation, it is recommended that you consult a gynecologist.
How to use "Dufaston" with a delay according to the instructions for use?
Often, this medication is prescribed for girls with a delay in menstruation, if the cause of this phenomenon is not the onset of pregnancy. Therefore, before taking the medicine, it is necessary to undergo an examination to exclude fertilization of the egg and determine the exact causes of the absence of menstruation. If the diagnostic results indicate a progesterone deficiency, the doctor may prescribe a woman 1 tablet for 5 days with a delay.
Women often ask: "Missed Duphaston - what to do?"
What to do if a woman missed a medication? There are many situations in connection with which you can forget to take the Duphaston pill. The patient, if she missed the pill, should drink it within 6 hours. In this case, no negative consequences will be observed. A delay of more than 6 hours is not desirable, but this also happens. In this situation, take the pill the next day, according to the original scheme. If you miss the drug during pregnancy, the risk of spontaneous miscarriage increases.
Women who took this hormone, left a mostly positive opinion about it. They note that this remedy is tolerated quite well, adverse reactions from it occur very rarely. In addition, according to patients, “Dufaston” perfectly regulates the menstrual cycle, helps with menstruation, which occur with severe pain. Pregnant patients in the reviews noted that this medication was prescribed during pregnancy to reduce the risk of miscarriage. In this case, he also helped to keep the pregnancy well and did not have side effects.
In the article, we examined the instructions for use, price and reviews of Dufaston.