Basil is a spicy plant with a unique taste, very popular among culinary specialists. It is a beautiful herb with a rich aroma. There are green and purple species. There are no big differences between them. Green is softer, and purple has a rich aroma, bright color, which allows it to be used for decoration of dishes: meat, fish, as well as salads and sauces. Fresh and dried grass are suitable for use. He has a sharp taste, with some bitterness, reminiscent of allspice.
However, basil is used not only in cooking, its healing properties are also known. Healing qualities are inherent not only in leaves, but also in stems, seeds, and basil flowers. By its beneficial effects on the body, it is equally useful to all people. Here we will familiarize ourselves with the contraindications and useful properties of the purple and green basil, learn how this wonderful herb is used in cooking and medical practice.
Basil was first discovered in the tropical territory of Asia. In India and Iran, culinary masters and doctors have been using it for over 5 thousand years. In the cuisine of the Mediterranean peoples, the plant takes a leading place among the spices for its unusual taste and aroma. Translated from Greek, the word "basil" means "king."
Basil is a herbaceous plant reaching a height of up to 50 cm. It blooms with small flowers of white, light purple or pink. Leaves have green or purple hues. In total, there are about 70 species of plants that differ in appearance, taste and smell. The basilica has a lot of essential oils, which give it a unique smell.
Basil is rich in content with many useful organic and mineral substances, so necessary for the human body. In this medicinal herb found:
- carbohydrates, which are easily absorbed by the body, and when broken down, they release energy;
- vitamins A, B2, K and C, contributing to the normal functioning of the body;
- oils that moisturize the skin and prevent its aging;
- esters that positively affect the heart muscle;
- anti-inflammatory tannins that improve blood coagulation;
- routine that improves blood quality and strengthens the walls of blood vessels;
- flavonoids - compounds that prevent the occurrence of tumors and regulate metabolism;
- substances of mineral origin (potassium, iron, zinc and others).
It is important to emphasize that the beneficial properties of dried basil are not inferior to the qualities of a fresh plant. The difference is only in the content of vitamin C: in fresh form it is more. Green basil has the same beneficial qualities as purple. Green has a less pronounced aroma than purple, which also has a harsher flavor. There is also lemon basil, it has the same properties, but it is endowed with a strongly pronounced refreshing aroma.
Useful properties of green and purple basil
Scientists and doctors have identified a number of properties inherent in all types of basil, the main of which are listed below:
- the plant strengthens the heart and improves its work;
- prevents premature aging of the skin;
- does not allow atherosclerosis to develop, strengthens blood vessels and reduces the amount of cholesterol in the blood;
- prevents the development of cancer;
- increases immunity and does not allow the development of pathogenic bacteria (enterococcus, staphylococcus and others);
- normalizes the digestive tract, does not allow inflammation of the mucous membrane and the phenomena of flatulence;
- positive effect on blood coagulability;
- is the prevention of hemorrhoids;
- relieves arthritis;
- has a pronounced anti-inflammatory property;
- the plant is considered a good remedy for depression;
- has a healing effect on the oral cavity;
- beneficial effect on vision;
- relieves headache.
This is not a complete list of the beneficial properties of basil, but impressive. What is its use still?
Useful properties of basil for women
In all types of basil, beneficial properties for women have been identified. Using it can bring many benefits to the female body.
- Relieves pain during PMS. The pains that women experience before menstruation do not become so strong. The general mood improves and cheerfulness appears. During PMS and menstruation, women should eat basil greens more. With its help, the deficiency of iron, which was removed from the body with blood loss, will be filled.
- Help with cystitis. For therapeutic purposes, you need 1 tbsp. spoon chopped leaves pour a glass of boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes. Before use, cool the broth and filter through 2 layers of gauze. Take 50 g of broth three times a day.
- Plant seeds for weight loss. Women often suffer from excess weight and want to lose weight. It turns out that this can be achieved with the help of basil seeds, which are able to normalize the metabolism. We prepare the infusion as follows: take 1 teaspoon of seeds and fill them with 100 ml of heated water, mix. After 5-10 minutes, the seeds will swell. After that we add yogurt to the infusion and drink it as breakfast. For weight loss, it is also recommended to take baths with basil leaves. Thanks to this procedure, toxic compounds can be removed from the body and swelling removed.
Contraindications for women
Not only does basil have beneficial properties for women. Contraindications are also available. Basil in any form is not recommended for pregnant and lactating women. The essential oils contained in the plant make it an undesirable product during this period. Essential oils of basil can increase the tone of the uterus and adversely affect the quality of breast milk.
Useful properties for men
What is useful basil for the stronger sex?
- Purple basil is an indispensable tool that successfully fights impotence. Active acids of "royal grass" increase blood circulation, help maintain blood sugar levels. Blood rushes well to the male genital organ, enhancing libido and increasing potency. To enhance potency twice a day, you need to drink basil tea. When preparing it, 30 g of dry leaves pour 500 ml of boiling water. Then you need to insist the solution for 35 minutes and filter. You should drink the liquid in a couple of doses, after adding honey or lemon juice there.
- Basil allows a man to be more collected, which is necessary when he is on the way. Substances that are in the grass help to concentrate, give vigor and good mood.
- Dried basil can help get rid of fat folds on the stomach. Prepare the infusion as described above. Its seeds are able to burn excess fat, especially if you do not forget about exercise.
- Basil is able to restore strength after increased physical or nervous overload, due to the content of vitamins and iron.
- This spicy herb can strengthen nerves, normalize sleep and smooth out the effects of stressful situations.
Basil has such useful qualities for the male body, and why its presence in the diet of the stronger sex is so important.
Contraindications for use by men and women
Despite the fact that basil has a whole range of useful properties, there is still a category of people who are contraindicated in using it in any form. Here are the contraindications:
- persons who had a heart attack, stroke, as well as patients with ischemia;
- those who suffer from thrombosis, thrombophlebitis, decreased blood coagulation;
- people suffering from epileptic disease;
- children under the age of 7 years;
Tea from basil is not recommended to drink in large quantities, despite all its healing properties. The leaves and stems of this plant contain small amounts of mercury, which can accumulate in the body and poison it. To avoid such troubles, after a three-week course of treatment, it is recommended to take a week break.
The use of plant seeds for weight loss
To make your figure graceful, pay attention to the seeds of Thai basil. To this end, you need to make a dessert of coconut milk. Seeds are poured with hot water and allow time to swell. After the water is drained, coconut milk is poured into the seeds. A drink becomes even tastier if you add jasmine buds or rose petals to it.
Thanks to the seeds of Thai basil, you can remove cholesterol from the body, speed up metabolism, remove excess fluid and harmful compounds.
Now consider how to use basil to withstand a number of diseases and keep the body in good condition. For these purposes, the basil has found many uses.
We put 7 leaves of grass, 4 cloves of garlic in a plate, pour them with 100 ml of water and cook for 10 minutes. The cooled and filtered broth we drink during the day. The cooked broth is able to soften sputum and facilitate coughing.
To strengthen tooth enamel and gums
We take 5-6 dry leaves and grind them into powder. With this powder we brush our teeth like a paste. After some time, the enamel of the teeth gets stronger, and the gums improve.
With kidney stones
The beneficial properties of fresh basil will help you deal with kidney stones. Before eating, you need to eat 7-8 leaves. The juice of the plant activates the secretion of bile. If you take for 5 months a mixture consisting of basil juice and honey in equal proportions, then you can permanently forget about kidney stones.
To improve vision
Vision can be strengthened by regularly eating fresh leaves. So that your eyes do not get tired, prepare an infusion according to the following recipe: 2 tbsp. tablespoons greens or dried raw materials, pour 1500 ml of boiling water. Then cool and filter, then rinse with this infusion or put compresses on your eyelids twice a day. After a 12-day course, we take a break for a week, and then the course of treatment is repeated. With this tool, it is easy to remove the burning sensation in the eyes and prevent inflammation of the eyelids.
Every day, to relieve stress, eat 3-4 leaves of a spicy plant in 3-4 doses, chewing them well. The secreted juice will calm the nerve endings, remove toxins from the body.
From problems with the digestive tract
To do this, pour 1.5 teaspoons of the herb with 250 ml of boiling water, then we defend the drink for 25 minutes, filter and cool. Drink should be 2 cups daily for 8 days. After that, we take a break for 2 weeks, then we duplicate the course of treatment.
To improve immunity
We take 15 g of dried leaves, we rub them into powder. Then we brew 200 ml of boiling water. After 20 minutes of infusion, cooling and filtering, the medicine is ready to use. You need to drink three times a day, 50 ml after a meal.
Take 40 g of chopped dry basil and place it in a bowl with two liters of boiling water. After 35 minutes of infusion and filtering, pour the prepared product into the bath, which should be taken for a quarter of an hour.
In addition to medicinal qualities, magical properties are also attributed to the basil. It is argued that he can strengthen marital ties, increase fortitude and mood, draw wealth and good fortune into your home, and maintain peace in the home. Moreover, some believe that eating basil can give a person clairvoyance. It is worth planting several basil plants in pots in the house. Then you will have everything: health, love, money, peace, harmony, mutual understanding and good mood.