The comfort zone is evil. Though pleasant, even very. But evil. Especially when it comes to self-development and language learning. If every day in the work to use fairly simple vocabulary and grammar with minimal changes, there is a high probability that you will start to forget all sorts of Conditionals or Future Perfect. Of course, we need to maintain the language at the proper level and develop it, so we asked our teachers to share books that help them in this. So get ready for the selection for high levels and not only!
PronunciationShip or Sheep? An Intermediate Pronunciation Course
In this tutorial you will find a good test that will show your weaknesses (all sorts of “sree” or “fries”). Even if nothing of the kind is found, the textbook should go from beginning to end, and here's why:
- each sound is explained separately (how to move the tongue, open the mouth, and so on);
- There are useful phonetic exercises (short enough not to get bored);
- phrases and short dialogues are given (sometimes with humor);
- There are different levels of difficulty (in case the Intermediate level does not work, you can take the Elementary , for example).
Vocabulary and grammarGrammar and Vocabulary for Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency
If you want to become a guru and a pro in English - this book is for you, especially if you plan to take international exams. And that's why:
- organization of a textbook on modules;
- focus on developing words and phrases for exams;
- a bunch of exercises and demo tests in the exam format.
A simpler level is also available (for Upper-Intermediate
).Advanced Grammar in Use
A chic and very popular series of books in English, which our teachers often use as additional practice in grammar:
- available explanations with illustrations;
- posting exercises and answers at the end;
- selections of verbs, pronouns and other useful applications at the end.
The textbook is presented for different levels ( Elementary
including).Oxford Practice Grammar
Not less cool manual, similar in structure to the previous tutorial:
- simple theory and illustrations;
- Exercises and tests, each of which is given after 8-12 lessons;
- answers and useful supplements to the textbook.
Versions available for most levels.Grammarway
We can say that this is an old-school (for a long time new versions did not come out) a grammar textbook with its own structure:
Grammar. Exercise book
- tasks are given after each rule, and not after the whole block of the theory (after it is also given);
- gradual increase in load with each unit;
- illustrations for each unit;
- Available version of the textbook with Russian translation for beginners.
Perhaps one of the most controversial textbooks around which discussions often arise and
among our teachers. But the textbook has several advantages:
- available grammar explanations in Russian;
- many exercises and answers to them (available in a separate edition);
- translation exercises (for those who need this practice);
- control tasks and a small dictionary at the end.
DictionariesOxford Advanced Learner`s dictionary
A cool dictionary built on the Language Corpus system - presenting information using examples:
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
- monolingual dictionary (explanatory);
- examples are taken from real texts and are easily perceived;
- there is a simpler version of the dictionary.
This book is considered the best-selling explanatory dictionary in America and here's why:
- articles and word definitions available to better understand individual meanings;
- explanations of stable phrases and idioms;
- etymology of words and the date of their appearance;
- detailed breakdown of words into syllables;
- There are illustrations for more accessible explanation of individual words or phrases.
Of course, this list of books is far from exhaustive, but it will be an excellent basis for you to develop your English language skills. And what textbooks do you use?
We give free access to three months of learning English through our online courses. To do this, simply follow the link
until December 31, 2017.
Individually by Skype
We will be glad to see you in English courses for IT-specialists.Sign up for an introductory lesson
and get comprehensive feedback on your level of knowledge, then choose a teacher and an educational program for yourself!