Itching and burning in the bikini area can occur with a variety of conditions and diseases. All this can be accompanied by secretions with and without smell. In the body of a woman of fertile age, monthly cyclic changes occur, which is expressed by different strength of secretions, but they are physiological under certain conditions. They are associated with the activity of the ovaries and the pituitary gland, i.e., the menstrual cycle. If there are discharge and itching in the genitals, they can be for 2 main reasons: STIs (sexually transmitted infections) or poor hygiene. Only by the smell and color of the discharge, no one will diagnose you, an examination is necessary.
Itching is not a separate pathology, but only a symptom, a skin reaction to irritation. Therefore, it can be present in any part of the body. Itching in the bikini area requires the most careful attention, this can be a sign of serious illness.
Etiology of the phenomenon
There can be several such reasons:
- adverse external factors;
- diseases of the genital area, as a result of other, non-sexual, pathologies;
- hormonal disorders;
These reasons are not clearly delineated and are divided into smaller ones. One thing is important in any case: if the itching and discharge does not stop within 3-5 days, you should definitely consult a doctor.
Allocations and reasons for their change
The discharge depends on age, the general condition of the body, the balance of hormones, etc. The reasons for the change in the discharge are numerous, but the main ones can be called:
- gestation, delivery, lactation;
- stressful situations;
- taking hormonal drugs;
- sexual arousal;
- change of partner;
- violation of intimate hygiene;
- frequent douching;
- irregular sex life;
- taking antibiotics;
- climate change.
At the same time, changes can be normal and pathological.
With an increase in the number of secretions, you can use pads, you should not start treatment yourself.
When changes to selections are not the norm
It is worthwhile to see a doctor in the following cases:
- watery discharge may indicate infections (gonorrhea, chlamydia);
- increased discharge after 40 years;
- if the discharge is accompanied by unpleasant sensations, itching, smell.
Itching and discharge in the genitals, as secondary manifestations of other diseases
Itching and burning can occur with:
- diabetes mellitus;
- enterobiosis and ascariasis;
- anal fissures;
- psoriasis and others
Itching and odorless discharge in women can be a consequence of diabetes because hyperglycemia leads to the reproduction of the genitalia of the yeast on the skin, which feed on amino acids and glucose. These symptoms can occur during an exacerbation of psoriasis, when plaques can appear on the labia.
Pruritus and white discharge occur in Keyr disease (erythroplasia). This is a malignant disease from the category of skin cancer and is caused by the HPV virus (types 16, 18, 31, 33, 35). Emotional stress can also cause itching.
Some medications can also cause itching and odorless discharge. These include Tamoxifen, birth control vaginal tablets (Pharmatex, Patentex Oval, etc.)
In these cases, the underlying disease should be treated.
Itching without discharge and odor
When itching appears, the woman immediately remembers her synthetic underwear. You can’t expect quality from cheap synthetics, and it often causes itching in the intimate area without secretions and odorless. Therefore, it is better to refuse synthetics or buy linen with cotton gusset. It can also cause aggressive care products: soaps, creams, gels, lubricants, condoms, contraceptive foam, washing powders, scented toilet paper. All of the above can cause allergic reactions with severe itching and discharge. It is enough to withdraw these funds so that everything normalizes.
Violation of the rules of hygiene explains itching without discharge in women. This is due to the impossibility of timely hygiene procedures or basic laziness. If there is no way to wash, use wet wipes for intimate places. Soaps for the intimate area should also be special.
Violations of the normal anatomy of the vagina arising from medical manipulations on the genitals in the form of damaged mucous membranes, gaping of the vulva, and the lowered walls of the vagina can also cause women to smell, without smell and discharge.
If you do not change tampons and pads in a timely manner (during menstruation for more than 4-5 hours), then the blood accumulated here becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. That's right: change tampons every 2 hours, pads - after 3-4 hours.
Pubic lice also causes itching. Infection occurs by contact with the carrier, using common items and towels. The activity of lice causes severe itching, discharge, blisters, rash. It is necessary to shave the pubic hair and wash it with hot, acidified vinegar, water. Sulfur ointment, Nittifor, etc., are applied to the affected areas.
Shaving in the intimate area against hair growth, on dry skin, a blunt blade, excessive pressure also provokes itching and discharge.
The cause of itching can also be frequent hypothermia or overheating of the genitals.
The hormonal background in women repeatedly fluctuates throughout life: with MC, pregnancy, menopause, lactation. Not only hormones, but also the acidity of the vagina change, which causes the appearance of itching.
It is possible because immunity with them decreases, and menstrual blood itself becomes an excellent medium for the reproduction of bacteria. There is no need for treatment, just change the pads in time and wash yourself.
Itching during pregnancy
In addition to changing hormone levels, the stomach and chest grow, the skin's elasticity decreases slightly, and stretch marks occur that cause itching. But the most common cause of discomfort is thrush, which most often develops during pregnancy.
This is again associated with a weakening of immunity and an imbalance between fungi and lactobacilli. Candidiasis is very common among women, regardless of age (found in 45% of women).
The mucous membrane of the vulva or vagina is usually inflamed. Complaints of excruciating itching and white discharge of a cheesy character appear.
Itching after childbirth
Indicates that there is a normalization of the hormonal background, and it is time to put in order your microflora. Special antipruritic agents for lactating women are prescribed.
Itching with menopause
During this period, estrogen decreases, later their production in the ovaries stops completely. Dry skin and mucous membranes appear, and atrophic vulvovaginitis develops. The same picture occurs when the ovaries are removed.
Cervical erosion is damage to the cervical epithelium of an organ. Symptoms are manifested not only in itching and odorless discharge, but also in pains in the lower abdomen, there may be rashes on the genitals. This indicates a secondary infection most often.
More often than others, the vagina, tubes, endometrium, cervix, etc. become inflamed. They occur when conditionally pathogenic microflora is activated against a background of decreased immunity, with provocative factors: hypothermia, neglect of hygiene, erratic communication.
Clinically observed pain in the lower abdomen, itching and discharge of white color (may be yellowish). They are slimy and odorless.
Endometriosis - the growth of endometrial cells beyond its layer in the uterus. In this case, itching and odorless discharge in the intimate area are possible.
STDs are the most common cause of itching in the genitals. All of them lead to infertility and chronic inflammation:
- Chlamydia - is transmitted sexually with any type of sex. Discharges mucous or purulent, itching, burning, with an unpleasant odor. The lower abdomen can hurt, with menstruation, the pain intensifies and the discharge is plentiful. In advanced cases, fever, general malaise, weakness may be noted.
- Gonorrhea - gonorrhea - is transmitted in all types of relationships. Gonorrhea is insidious in that immunity to it does not occur, and infection is possible repeatedly. Symptoms of it are white-yellow discharge and itching in the intimate zone, painful diuresis, pulling pains in the lower abdomen, disorder of the MC.
- Genital herpes - also applies to STIs. At first, redness and mild itching appears around the genitals. Later bubbles appear with liquid. They are localized on the genitals, the inner surface of the thigh. Itching becomes intolerable, burning sensation joins. Sensations intensify with urination, dyspareunia is noted. Often there are general symptoms with temperature, lymphadenitis, deterioration of well-being. Left untreated, the infection can spread to the brain. Cause blindness and death.
- Trichomoniasis - caused by the simplest unicellular - Trichomonas. The average incubation period is from 10 days to 2 months. Symptoms: severe pain and frequent urination, persistent itching and discharge in the intimate area in women. The discharge is frightening and plentiful: yellow, greenish, gray, with a sharp unpleasant odor.
- Mycoplasmosis - caused by mycoplasmas. It is accompanied by burning, itching and discharge in women in the morning, pain during urination.
- Bacterial vaginosis. Normally, there is always microflora in the vagina - it is a conditionally pathogenic flora and lactobacilli. Bacterial vaginosis is not inflammation, but an imbalance between lactobacilli and opportunistic microflora (primarily anaerobes and gardnerella). This happens with a decrease in immunity. If there is a smell of rotten fish, other examinations can not be done: the diagnosis is obvious. Gardnerella prevails among bacteria, so vaginosis and gardnerellosis have long been synonymous. Vaginosis is accompanied by itching and discharge with a smell in an intimate place. The smell resembles miasma with rotten fish. The discharge is not abundant, white-gray or yellow, greenish in color. They are viscous and thick, do not leave marks on linen, but always intensify with intimacy. There are also pain, swelling and redness of the labia, inflammation and burning, and painful urination. Gardnerells themselves do not cause inflammation, but free of charge help other bacteria to penetrate the uterine cavity and tubes.
Diagnostics includes the following activities:
- a smear from the vagina to the microflora is required;
- Bakseeding for determining sensitivity to antibiotics;
- PCR analysis;
- Ultrasound of the uterus;
- with extragenital pathologies, general blood and urine tests
- blood biochemistry;
- determination of the status of hormones with menopause.
When determining gardnerellosis, PCR is of little importance, it is more important to determine the number of pathogens. If there are no lactobacilli in the vaginal smear, this is an indicator of the presence of vaginosis.
Etiotropic treatment is prescribed after an accurate diagnosis and determination of the type of pathogen. In parallel, the doctor may prescribe immunomodulating drugs, courses of vitamins and anti-allergic drugs.
To monitor the effectiveness of the tests after 2-3 weeks you need to repeat. If vaginal itching occurs in postmenopausal women, hormones with estrogen and anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed. With candidiasis, antimycotics are effective in the form of ointments, tablets, suppositories, douching (everything is complex).
With cervical erosion, douching, therapeutic applications, antibacterial therapy are performed.
For sexually transmitted diseases, both the woman and her partners who are in contact with during the incubation period are treated. Antibiotic therapy is prescribed, to which the pathogens have a sensitivity.
A woman should not allow hypothermia of the body, wear linen better from natural fabrics. It is better not to use pads daily, tampons for menstruation are better not to use. It is advisable to observe monogamy, timely treat sexual chronic inflammation, sexual hygiene should also be competent.
Basic hygiene rules:
- Wash not often, but daily; during menstruation - every time when changing pads. Washing with running water only, basins and baths are not applicable.
- Rough washcloths must be discarded. When using care products, they must be tested so that there is no irritation.
- Use only with a personal towel.
- Underwear should be made of natural materials. Wearing thongs is strongly discouraged - they rub and facilitate the penetration of infection from the anus and urethra.
- For menstruation, it is better to use pads. Tampons are strictly necessary and changed every 2 hours. During sleep, only the pad is used.
Wipes for intimate hygiene and ordinary wet - different things. The latter are created for the hands and contain alcohol, which irritates the genital mucosa.
Any woman always has her own experience of self-observation, so she can immediately notice a pathology. With atypical itching and discharge, you should immediately consult a gynecologist - this is the basic rule. Self-medication and waiting are excluded.