In recent years, online business promotion has become an increasingly difficult process. Competition in many markets is tightening, the cost of attracting customers using paid advertising by the auction model - for example, in search engines or social networks - is constantly growing.
As a result, only large companies can compete with each other through these channels, and the rest have to look for other, cheaper ways to promote. One of them - search engine optimization (SEO), can turn out to be very effective, because if things are successful, if the site goes to the top of Google or Yandex for the right queries, this will provide it with quality traffic.
There is a whole industry of search engine optimization, and today we’re not talking about life hacks to bring sites to the top of search engines, but we’ll look at the technical difficulties that may be encountered along the way.
Why automation is necessary for quality promotion
Search engine optimization includes a huge number of tasks:
- competitive intelligence - what and how other companies from your niche do;
- audit of your own site - which keywords to use, what type of content will allow you to rise higher in the SERP;
- link building - where and how to place (and are already placed) links to the site of competitors;
- geo-analysis - in the case of international business, it is important to understand how the site feels in search engines in different regions;
For each of these tasks, automation will be needed, most often with the help of scraping - that is, parsing the necessary data for further analysis. This is logical, since it will be very difficult and expensive to collect the necessary data manually, it is much more efficient to write a simple script that downloads data from the right sites or from search engines. At least it sounds very simple.
What could go wrong
Suppose you decide to analyze the competitors ’SEO site - for example, gather information about which keywords they use to promote and which pages they are actively optimizing.
To do this, you will need a script that, on the one hand, connects to the target site, goes through its pages and downloads information on tags, keywords, used headings, and on the other hand, analyzes the search engine results for these keywords (what places the pages occupy, what meta -descriptions for them are issued).
At this stage, it may turn out that the site owners, like the search engine, are not at all happy with the fact that someone is trying to download data. The activity of your bot will probably be blocked. Usually, server IP addresses are used for such scrappers to work without serious network rotation (that is, changing them regularly). It is not difficult to calculate and block the bot in such a situation.
And this is even the best option, because there are cases when business owners tend to mislead competitors and “slip” their data to scam bots. If you make business decisions based on such data, you can incur serious losses. In the case of SEO, for example, incorrect data can lead to incorrect competitive analysis results, as a result of which the company will spend money on promotion, but will not achieve results.
How to solve problems using resident proxies
You can solve many problems when promoting sites and analyzing SEO data using resident proxies.
Resident names are IP addresses that Internet providers issue to homeowners; they are noted in the databases of regional Internet registers (RIR). Resident proxies use just such IPs, so requests from them are indistinguishable from those sent by real users. It turns out, for sites and search engines, requests of scrappers sent from such addresses will look like regular requests from visitors. Nobody will block them.
For example, the service of rotated proxies from Infatica is
used by companies that need to solve the following tasks:
- Getting data for tests and experiments - scrappers can collect data on the results of a particular site in different search engines for different search queries for different periods of time.
- Competitive intelligence - analysis of competitor activity and performance data is also a popular proxy case.
- Analysis of geo results - those companies that promote their site in several regions or countries at once can launch scrappers to download relevant data from search engines without the risk of blocking. More than 100 countries and regions are available in the Infatica system.
Other articles on the use of resident proxies for business: